Friday, September 24, 2010

The Rev'd Reynard About Town ...

Normally I'm not that inclined to post photos of myself, but I promised a bunch of people some shots of life in Barkerville. In particular, I think my seminary (Emmanuel and St. Chad) needs some high quality photos. Here they are! (I think.)
So, I lived a summer as a 1870s priest in the Cariboo frontier. I got quite used to wearing a cassock.
(I think) The following shots are from Dominion Day (Canada Day). I was asked to open the proceedings with a prayer.

My brother (Jo) spent the summer up there with me. He was an actual gold miner. Add a journey down the Historic Gold Trail in our F350 wagon (in clergy black) and we were just about a CBC special.



 The Rev'd Reynard, Mr. Grimsby (half mad miner from the California gold fields), and Glen Ross (archaeologist and China Town interpreter)

Following are a series of three photos of Miss Playfair, who seems to derive an unseemly amount of enjoyment from making the poor preacher blush. She's a lady, but still from a gold rush town. The weather is not the only hardship to be endured in Barkerville.




Some curiously dressed people. Probably from some other colony. Notice the man with the child is wearing curiously short trousers? Normally this would only be appropriate for a school boy. I can only think that the man in the blue working shirt must be a Highlander, given all that curly hair. Or a pirate, I suppose.
Well, first the gospel, then manners.

C. Strouss ... a great source of moral support and coffee.



F.J. Barnard: the famous wagons.


Miss Foo-Ling Tseng and the Rev'd Reynard


No comments:

Post a Comment