Friday, May 27, 2011

Ground-Breaking Ceremony in Khejuri





The next day, on our return to Durgapur, about an hour from Mandarmoni we stopped in Khejuri. Two years ago a cyclone wreaked havoc on this area. The bishop mobilized the diocese to provide aid to local populace. During this relief effort, the bishop became aware of a group of Christians that had first heard the gospel from missionaries, but had been subsequently persisting in their faith in isolation. Upon learning of this small, independent community Bp. Probal quickly set about linking them up with the Diocese of Durgapur. We stopped in Khejuri for a ground breaking ceremony for a new school being built by the diocese. Many of the people in this area are involved in the making of cigarettes, and the hope is that this school will allow the youth of this community to gain better employment. I had the honour of cracking a coconut over the cornerstone of this building, in the local custom (one crack, one crack only). What I wasn't aware of was that the Indian coconuts are not nearly as tough as the Hawaiian ones we get at home. I just about broke a couple bricks when I pulverized the coconut. Oh well, so I got a bit of coconut juice on me!

Don't tell the cook at St. Michael's Church Compound, but the curry was the best I have had in India yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment