Friday, May 27, 2011

Kitchen Garden


A predecessor of mine left the legacy of a kitchen garden at St. Michael's Church Compound. It seems like it has been puttering along for the last few years, but I have been working with a local Brahman farmer and three of the older boys who also live on the compound to take the garden to the next level. It is not the best season for planting, but we have been putting together a plan and we will be planting monsoon crops in the next couple days, and I am arranging for many fruit trees to be planted in the 'back 40' (more like two acres). I am soaking it up because I think that this might be the only time in my life when I have to make a choice between mango or guava trees ... or maybe bananas? I can't make up my mind! 

The boys (and Arun, the farmer who is about my age) have been learning the English for many farm related things, and I have been learning the corresponding Bangla names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment