Friday, May 27, 2011

Opening of Durgapur United Church School




The very next day (what a pace!!!), I was invited as an honoured guest to the inaugural ceremony marking the opening of a new school in Durgapur for children from some of the more impoverished communities. This school was the fruits of a project spearheaded by a young lady from Australia named Akino. If I have my numbers right, it is the eighth school in Durgapur for children from families that could not afford an education for them. Despite some fears that the children were going to be force converted to Christianity, or sold off, the Bishop's (and others') speeches at the ceremony seemed to have alleviated the fears of the childrens' mothers; twice as many children as were enrolled were brought to the school the next day for its opening. The bishop has a wonderful philosophy of tolerance towards other faiths, and I have met many children who attend the various diocese schools who maintain their Hindu or Muslim faiths. The rhetorical question was posed in one sermon: "Who is your neighbour?"

I am a bit embarrassed because I really did nothing other than sit there on that day, but Akino, Emma and I got our photo in the local paper (which is not a small publication). 

Bro', this next photo is for you. You have got to get a face plate like this for your bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment